Valentine’s Day treats are so fun to make, especially with little ones, my son and his friend helped make these treats. Items needed for these treats are:
- 1 box Oreos (we used Trader Joe’s) Traders has a gluten-free option for these cookies as well
- 2 bags of Candy Melts
- 2 to 3 different Valentine’s sprinkles
- 30 Lollipop sticks
- Wrappers and ties if you are giving them out
Candy melts made by Wilton are great for making tons of different types of candy. The most important part of this recipe is to not over cook the candy in the microwave, it we be ruined if you over cook or melt rather.
- Microwave for 1 minute on 50% power
- Remove from microwave and stir (which will be minimal at this point)
- Microwave for 30 seconds at 50% power
- Remove from microwave and stir
- Repeat steps 3 & 4 until tit is smooth
- Carefully remove one half of the cookie
- Use stick to remove some of filling so stick will lay flat in the filling
- Add melted chocolate over the stick and filling to reconnect cookie
- Let cookies set for 10 minutes so the chocolate and cookie are reconnected completely otherwise cookie will fall apart
- Dip both sides of the cookies so completely covered in chocolate
- Wipe excess off of the one side (not the side you are going to use sprinkles on)
- Dip into sprinkles
- Set aside on wax paper for an hour or two until firm to the touch
If you are planning on passing these out in your child’s class I would recommend using the treat bags and twist ties. Very inexpensive the 50 treat bags cost $1.99 and the twist ties $.99 both from Michael’s. The chocolates were on sale from $3.99 to $1.99 this week also at Michael’s, the sprinkles I got at Target for a few dollars.
The finished treats! Since it is before Valentine’s Day I brought these into my mom’s chemo nurses’ today and they loved them, I plan on making them again and bringing to my son’s class. Something to note Traders has a gluten-free option for these cookies, which is great because my son’s class has a couple of children who need this option. I love that Trader’s has made it that much easier to make these treats for everyone in his class.